Currently over 90,000 people nationwide are registered on the national waiting list, including approximately 8,000 New Yorkers, for a lifesaving organ. Every 14 minutes, another name is added to the list. Nationwide, approximately 16 people die each day waiting for a life-saving organ. A single donor can save the lives of eight people through organ donation and improve the lives of countless others with tissue donation.
When an individual becomes an organ donor, they donate life.
What is Donation?
- Organ Donation - The donation of an organ from an individual who has been declared brain dead. The organs are transplanted into individuals based on need through a national waiting list.
- Tissue Donation - The donation of tissue (bone, eyes, fascia, heart valves and vessels) from an individual who has suffered cardiac or brain death.
- Living Donation - The donation of organs from a living donor to an individual with a matching blood and/or tissue type.
- Consent for Donation - An approval from the family of a organ or tissue to donate life. Even if a patient has signed a donor card, the family still needs to consent.
- Gift of Life - The ultimate gift to give an individual in need of a transplant. Donating one's organs or tissue is donating life.
Efforts to Improve Donation
An organ procurement organization (OPO) is the organization designated by the federal government that coordinates the consent and retrieval of donated organs and tissue. The OPO for the five boroughs of New York City, Long Island and the five lower counties of Hudson Valley is the New York Organ Donor Network (NYODN). This network serves 11.8 million people and is the largest OPO in the country. The NYODN is committed to improving the lives of the 89,000 individuals waiting for organs and the countless individuals who benefit from tissue donation. The NYODN works with hospitals, the public and individuals to improve communication and education on this topic. The hospital and NYODN work collaboratively to improve donation rates regionally.
If you have any questions or comments about organ and tissue donation, please send us an e-mail at email@example.com.Back to Top