Message from the Program Director, Miriam A. Smith, MD, FACP, MBA
To be an internist is to combine effective clinical skills with experience, compassion, a love of science and clear critical thinking. The internist blends the science of medicine with the art of clinical practice to create an environment conducive to both continued learning and quality patient care. At Forest Hills Hospital, we fully understand the changing role of the physician in society. We take a global and humane approach to healthcare.
The hospital provides ideal clinical training combined with a balanced and diverse curriculum. Forest Hills Hospital offers unique opportunities and experiences, which can best be found in an active community hospital, functioning as part of a major healthcare delivery network and offering exposure to patients and physicians in managed care plans.
We pride ourselves on our ability to adapt to individual requirements, to foster personal development and to revise curriculum as the need arises. Our faculty is readily available and deeply involved on a daily basis with our residents. We encourage interaction between residents and faculty.
The Forest Hills internal medicine residency program provides comprehensive training that emphasizes clinical competence, research, leadership, and patient-centered care, all in a supportive, collegial setting. As one of the nation’s largest health systems, North Shore-LIJ has unparalleled resources to support training, including a world-class research institute and an innovative new medical school. Our program is comprised of a total of 38 residents in 2014-2015.
Highlights of the internal medicine residency program include:
- Part of one of the nation’s largest healthcare systems.
- Integrated with Hofstra North Shore-LIJ School of Medicine, the state’s first new allopathic medical school in more than 50 years.
- Training sites in an upscale urban community less than 30 minutes from Manhattan.
- Health system includes all major subspecialty fellowships.
- Extraordinary track record of acceptance by top fellowship programs.
- Highly competitive salary and benefits.
- Diverse patient population from throughout greater metropolitan New York.
- North Shore-LIJ’s Feinstein Institute for Medical Research, in top 10 percent of NIH funding.