Division of Pediatric Anesthesiology
The Division of Pediatric Anesthesiology at North Shore-LIJ Health System is committed to providing comprehensive, specialized services for children of all ages. Our pediatric anesthesia team works with patients requiring surgery or undergoing painful medical procedures and treatments that require them to remain motionless for a significant period of time, such as radiologic imaging.
In order to provide the highest level of quality care, preoperative surgical testing screens patients so that anesthesia and surgical services can more carefully prepare for children with special needs or conditions that may require modifications from planned techniques.
It’s also important to note that parents are an integral part of the anesthetic and surgical process. They accompany their children throughout the preoperative and postoperative period and may accompany their children to the OR for induction if needed. Parents are updated from the OR in longer cases and are encouraged to be at the bedside during the recovery from anesthesia and surgery.
Pediatric Cardiac Anesthesia Team
The pediatric anesthesia division includes a pediatric cardiac anesthesia team ath the Health System locations where congenital heart surgeries are performed. The team is responsible for guiding the anesthetic care of children with congenital cardiac disease who may undergo various cardiac or non-cardiac surgical or diagnostic procedures. The anesthetic techniques are tailored to optimally manage the child’s underlying heart disease.
The team works with Cohen Children’s Medical Center’s cardiac program, which provides comprehensive, state-of-the-art care for children with complex congenital cardiac disease. This includes cardiac surgery, cardiac diagnostic and interventional catheterization, advanced imaging (echocardiography, MRI and CT), cardiac intensive care, electrophysiology and an adult congenital cardiac program.
Pediatric Anesthesia Care Across the Continuum
The Division of Pediatric Anesthesiology provides care across the continuum of health system services.
- The pediatric anesthesia team works closely with the pediatric neurosurgical department to care for children undergoing a variety of complex surgical and non-surgical procedures involving trauma, surgical management of brain tumors and plastic surgery craniofacial reconstruction.
- Pediatric anesthesiologists are involved with the ear, nose, throat (ENT) program, which includes specialty care for children requiring airway reconstructive surgery and in obstructive sleep apnea procedures. Anesthesia is also offered for more routine surgeries, such as tonsillectomy, adenoidectomy and myringotomy for recurrent ear infections.
- Anesthesia for pediatric orthopaedic surgery incorporates the selective use of regional techniques to optimally manage postoperative pain and facilitate rehabilitation when indicated.
- Pediatric anesthesia is also an integral part of the management of children undergoing urologic surgery. This surgery provides advanced care for a wide variety of developmental and traumatic injury to the urinary system of children. Anesthetic techniques optimize pain management, particularly in more comprehensive reconstructive procedures.
The Division of Pediatric Anesthesia currently provides comprehensive care at four locations:
- Steven and Alexandra Cohen Children's Medical Center of New York
- Lenox Hill Hospital
- Long Island Jewish Medical Center
- Center for Advanced Medicine Ambulatory Care Center