Leading the Way in Fighting Endocrinology Diseases
Endocrinology is the branch of medicine dealing with a complex group of glands and hormones, their receptors, pathways and the endocrine diseases and disorders associated with those hormones. An endocrinologist is a doctor specifically trained to diagnose and treat hormone imbalance, endocrine diseases and endocrine disorders.
The combined Division of Endocrinology, Diabetes and Metabolism is staffed by recognized leaders in clinical endocrinology who are affiliated with the Hofstra North Shore-LIJ School of Medicine. The division offers inpatient consultation service at the Long Island Jewish and North Shore-Manhasset campuses, as well as outpatient consultation and ongoing managment of endocrinology disorders at 865 Northern Blvd, suite 203, in Great Neck.
Staff endocrinologists focus on diagnosing and treating a wide variety of endocrine disorders including:
- Diabetes — Excessive sugar in the bloodstream
- Thyroid Disease — Hypo/hyperthyroidism and thyroid cancers
- Metabolic Disorders — Including bone and mineral metabolism (osteoporosis)
- Pituitary Disorders — Disorders relating to development and growth
- Adrenal Disorders — Improper hormone production
- Women's Health Issues — Menopause and polycystic ovarian syndrome
Our Division of Endocrinology, Diabetes and Metabolism is trusted by local primary care physicians relating to the diagnosis and treatment of endocrine diseases and endocrine disorders for their patients. Through the inpatient and outpatient care facilities, the Division provides state-of-the-art therapeutic modalities including:
- Ultrasound-guided fine needle aspiration of the thyroid
- Bone densitometry (osteoporosis testing)
- American Diabetes Association–accredited diabetes education program
- Nutritional counseling services
- State-of-the-art thyroid ultrasonography
As a member of the nation's third-largest non-profit, secular healthcare system, our faculty and endocrinologists have the ability to consult with other specialists as needed. Our partnerships give us the ability to leverage skill, experience and cutting edge equipment, allowing us to best meet the needs of every individual patient.