Intensive Insulin Management Treatments
Intensive insulin management therapy takes an aggressive approach to the blood glucose management. It involves setting specific goals for maintaining blood sugar levels within a certain range before and after meals.
Intensive insulin management typically requires:
- Frequent injections of insulin
- A close monitoring of dietary habits
- Use of exercise to help control blood glucose
- Frequent blood sugar tests
Intensive insulin management is intended to help with blood glucose management in patients that have what is commonly referred to as "uncontrollable blood sugar". With proper intensive insulin therapy with a focus on monitoring blood glucose management, a patient can prevent or slow the progression of long-term diabetes complications. Studies have shown that strict blood glucose management and intensive insulin management can reduce the risk of diabetes-related heart attack and stroke by more than 50%.
Tightly controlled blood glucose management and insulin therapy can also:
- Reduce the risk of eye damage
- Reduce the risk of peripheral neuropathy and nerve damage
- Prevent or slow the progression of kidney disease
- Improve energy levels and metabolic function